Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Bo Gehring


KISS, 2004 - picture taken by Angelika Rinnhofer, 2005

Bo Gehring

is one of the first computer animators, originally using supercomputers and the Fortran language.
His works from that period are classics in the genre. His work in three-dimensional audio is also widely recognized.

In this show he introduces a new concept:
sculpture as an artistic process over time, where the process itself is the art
and realization of the physical sculpture is incidental."I invented a scripted computer modelling technique to create sculpture
which I planned to realize in metal. But seeing a sculpture reveal its beauty and underlying logic
as it flew into being on a life-size screen was much more exciting to me than the static object
sitting on the floor. And, free from the slowness of making what Robert Morris has called "object-type" art,
I could try tens or hundreds of ideas instead of only a few. My work has precedents in procedural
and process art but with the difference that I'm concerned with the artistic process itself as art,
not with anything ever being manufactured or not."


www.bogehring.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home